Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Content of Programming Courses shared on Blog For Free Access To Anybody

A couple of days ago I sent the following mail to top Indian ministers and bureaucrats associated with higher education, UGC/AICTE academic administrators and others.

Dear sir/madam,

In the past I have sent you esteemed ladies and gentlemen some mails on my views about Indian Computer Science and Information Technology academia and my suggestions on how to improve teaching in general in this field as well as how to improve the practice of software development in this field.

So I felt it appropriate to share the contents of the home page of a new blog of mine having contents of some of the programming courses that I taught, below. You may want to have a look at it.

Home

Last updated on 23rd March 2014
This blog has been created to offer the content of software lab. courses created by Ravi S. Iyer, Software Consultant, Puttaparthi, India, while he was offering free service as Honorary Staff/Honorary Faculty/Visiting Faculty to a Mathematics & Computer Science department in a deemed university in Andhra Pradesh, India, from 2003 to 2011. To know more about Ravi S. Iyer, please visit: http://ravisiyer.wordpress.com/about-ravi/.
The software lab. courses Ravi taught some of whose contents have been uploaded here and some whose contents are planned to be uploaded in the near future, are:
  1. C++ Programming
  2. Advanced Unix Programming
  3. Unix Network (socket) Programming including pthread Programming
  4. Minix/Linux Kernel Internals
  5. Java Web Programming
  6. C# & ASP.Net Web Programming
  7. VC++/MFC/Windows Programming
  8. Open Source Web Technology (As applied to a free school educational web portal)
This blog is owned and operated by Ravi S. Iyer. This blog aims to share useful output of Ravi as a teacher of software lab. courses/programming courses.
Feedback from Former Students
A former student who was taught this course by me in the deemed university in Andhra Pradesh, India, wrote the following over email on March 18th 2014 (modified slightly to fix a couple of minor grammatical errors):
It is great that you have shared the C++ programming teaching material prepared by you on your blog. I really hope that people make use of it for I know how useful it could be. I can say this as a direct beneficiary of this, and today that is what fills my bank account at the end of every month.
I just hope and pray that Swami gives you the strength and determination to keep up the good work. I also think that I too can take a tiny part of the credit in this endeavour of you putting up these slides, as I was perhaps one of the many who would have suggested that you put these slides up in some forum accessible to the students’ community. Thank you for considering the request.
Another former student who had been taught Advanced Unix Programming and Unix Network Programming courses by me, wrote me on 22nd March 2014:
These courses (Advanced Unix Programming and Unix Network Programming) went a long way in helping me land my job at Alcatel-Lucent. I had a one-on-one interview with my hiring manager that was entirely on Unix. After joining the company I learned that this person(manager) was a big time ‘Unix fan’. It was very satisfying to have done well in that interview. On the job, we completely relied on Solaris Unix based servers and the concepts of processes and threads gained from these course(s), went a long way in helping me grasp the software.
Thank you Ravi Sir.
-------

Regards

Ravi S. Iyer
Software Consultant
--- remaining part of email signature snipped ---

No comments:

Post a Comment